Best Columbus Day Mattress Sales of 2023
- Best Mattress Overall: Amerisleep AS3
- Best Memory Foam Mattress: Zoma Start
- Best Hybrid Mattress: Vaya Hybrid
- Best Innerspring Mattress: Saatva Classic
- Best Latex Mattress: Nolah Natural 11″
- Best Soft Mattress: Amerisleep AS5
- Best Cooling Mattress: Zoma Boost
- Best Value Mattress: Vaya Mattress
- Best Luxury Mattress: Nolah Evolution 15”
- Best Mattress for Back Pain: Saatva RX
With fall gearing up and winter fast approaching, it’s time to start planning for the best Columbus Day mattress sales of the year. The early October long weekend is known industry-wide for its deep discounts on top mattress brands, making it one of the best times to invest in a new bed.
Whether you prefer the contoured comfort of memory foam, the responsiveness of pocketed coils, or the natural breathability of latex, you’re sure to find a top-quality mattress discounted for Columbus Day weekend.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll highlight all the details you need to strategically navigate the chaotic sales event and snag the perfect mattress at an unbeatable price. We’ll walk through conducting pre-sale research, determining your ideal budget, evaluating different mattress types, understanding firmness ratings, and more.
Follow our tips to filter through the noise, make smart comparisons, and come away with the best possible deal on your ideal bed. With some preparation and insight, you can relax knowing you landed both comfort and value this Columbus Day.
Best Mattresses of 2023
Finding the perfect mattress isn’t one-size-fits-all, as different sleepers have unique needs based on their favorite sleep positions, body types, medical conditions, and personal preferences. Amerisleep simplifies the process by offering a range of eight mattresses across five different firmness levels.
Amerisleep provides five memory foam mattresses and three hybrid options, all conveniently delivered in a box. Here’s a breakdown:
- The Amerisleep AS1, ideal for stomach and some back sleepers, offers a firm feel and is available exclusively as a memory foam mattress.
- The Amerisleep AS2 is a memory foam mattress that has a medium-firm feel ideal for back pain and back sleeping overall.
- The Amerisleep AS3 comes in memory foam and hybrid versions with a medium feel good for all sleep positions, though it particularly caters to side and combination sleepers. It’s Amerisleep’s most popular model, available in both classic memory foam and a new hybrid version.
- The Amerisleep AS4 is a medium-soft memory foam mattress, best for side sleepers and petite sleepers.
- The Amerisleep AS5 is their softest memory foam and hybrid mattress, good for side sleepers and lightweight individuals. Surprisingly, it’s also suitable for heavier sleepers due to its supportive transition layers and base layer.
- Outside of their standard numbered lineup is the Amerisleep Organica. For those seeking an even more eco-conscious option, the Organica is a natural latex hybrid with buoyant, bouncy comfort from its natural latex top and responsive pocketed coils. Both of these are accompanied by crisp cotton fabric cushioning organic wool.
All Amerisleep memory foam mattresses feature a top layer of Bio-Pur® foam, which is more eco-friendly, responsive and breathable than traditional memory foam. Amerisleep’s foams are also certified safe by CertiPUR-US®, free from toxic materials like mercury, lead, and formaldehyde, and have low VOC emissions.
Amerisleep also offers a range of sleep accessories, including memory foam pillows, sheets, comforters, mattress foundations, adjustable bed bases, mattress toppers, and a waterproof mattress protector, allowing you to upgrade your entire sleep experience.
During their Columbus Day sale, Amerisleep is offering a $450 discount off their mattresses. With every Amerisleep mattress purchase, you enjoy free shipping, a 100-night sleep trial, and a generous 20-year warranty.
Zoma specializes in restorative recovery with its cooling mattress lineup. While originally tailored for the athletic market, anyone can benefit from sleeping on a Zoma mattress.
Many gravitate to the responsive Zoma Hybrid or the slim and budget-friendly Zoma Start. Both mattresses feature a top layer of cooling gel memory foam, which soothes aches and pains by conforming to your body, providing full-body support and pressure relief. The infused gels disperse body heat across the mattress, maintaining an ideal temperature.
Beneath the gel foam lies a layer of Reactiv™ foam, a responsive material that adds supportive pushback to prevent deep sinking and spinal misalignment. This material also enhances ease of movement across the mattress surface.
The Zoma Hybrid relies on a layer of pocketed coils for support, while the Zoma Start has a base of Support+ foam to deter sagging.
Zoma also offers the Zoma Boost, the brand’s most luxurious model with a 15-inch construction for cool comfort and cloud-like weightlessness. Ultra-plush and pleasantly cooling with thick foam layers over coils, the Zoma Boost provides all the soothing relaxation of a bath after a long day and a personal cloud ready to carry you off to sleep.
During their Columbus Day mattress sale, Zoma will provide a $150 discount on all their mattresses. Each Zoma mattress includes free delivery, a 100-night sleep trial and a 10-year warranty.
Vaya is a newer player in the mattress industry, offering comfortable yet affordable beds. They currently offer two versatile mattress models, which you can pick up on sale this Columbus Day.
The Vaya Mattress is an affordable all-foam bed with pressure relief. Standing 12 inches tall with a straightforward design, the Vaya Mattress relies on a conforming top foam layer and a supportive base layer. The top layer, Vaya Comfort, relieves pressure and maintains a cool sleep surface, while the bottom layer, Vaya Base Foam, offers support for all sleeping positions.
The Vaya Hybrid adds coils for coolness and bounce. For those seeking a touch of luxury without breaking the bank, the 14-inch Vaya Hybrid provides a pillowy feel with top layers of cushioning cotton and Vaya Comfort Foam, complemented by its motion-isolating pocketed coils and a thick base foam.
Every Vaya mattress ships free and comes with a 100-night sleep trial period and a 10-year mattress warranty. This Columbus Day, take $300 off one of their mattresses.
Nolah specializes in creating advanced foam mattresses that outperform standard foam options. They continually update their mattress technologies to cater to a wider range of sleepers.
- The Nolah Original 10” is their most versatile foam mattress. This budget-friendly choice offers medium firmness, suitable for most sleep positions, including couples and those with chronic pain.
- The Nolah Signature 12” is a softer foam mattress for side sleepers. With a medium-soft feel, it’s perfect also for petite individuals and those with joint issues.
- The popular Nolah Evolution 15” has luxury support and comfort. Named for its exceptional 15-inch height, this mattress provides above-and-beyond support in three distinct firmnesses, making it ideal for all sleeper types.
- The Nolah Evolution Comfort + is a mattress model that draws upon their original Evolution 15, with a sturdy design engineered to accommodate plus-sized sleepers for years and years.
- The Nolah Natural 11” is an eco-friendly latex hybrid featuring pocketed coils. The coils are arranged to offer three zones of targeted support, while the latex is punctured for added breathability.
- The Nolah Nurture 10” is their mattress for younger children. A best-selling children’s mattress, the Nolah Nurture is dual-sided to accommodate your child’s growth and comes in twin, twin XL, and full sizes
During Nolah’s Columbus Day mattress sales, you can save up to 33% and enjoy two free pillows. Even with these savings, you’ll still enjoy a 120-night guarantee, a lifetime warranty, and complimentary shipping and returns. The sleep trial can even be removed at checkout for added savings, perfect for those on a tighter budget.
Saatva is a luxury mattress brand offering an extensive range of mattresses, ensuring there’s a Saatva bed to suit everyone’s preferences.
- The Saatva Classic is an elegant innerspring with a Euro pillow top. With targeted back support and two coil systems, it’s a mattress engineered for long-lasting comfort.
- The Saatva RX is a mattress model designed to specifically combat chronic back paina and persistent achy joints, with a specialty Therapeutic Support Core paired with a cozy quilted surface.
- The Saatva HD is made for heavier, plus-sized people. This firmer spring mattress provides excellent support for those over 230 pounds who prefer back or stomach sleeping.
- The Loom & Leaf is their primary memory foam mattress model. Engineered to stay cool, it’s available in relaxed firm or firm feels, catering to a wide range of sleepers and couples.
- The Solaire Adjustable is a luxury airbed that has 50 firmnesses. Highly customizable, this advanced mattress is perfect for couples and those struggling to find the right fit.
- The Saatva Latex Hybrid is an organic hypoallergenic choice. It’s engineered to provide the pressure-free, eco-friendly comfort of natural latex with a responsive spring core.
- The Saatva Memory Foam Hybrid is an affordable option for those who want to enjoy a luxury hybrid mattress.
- The Zenhaven Latex is a bed made of natural latex, from top to bottom. It’s a flippable, all-natural, and hypoallergenic mattress with a luxury plush side for couples and side sleepers, and a gentle firm side for back and stomach sleepers.
- The Saatva Bunk and Trundle Mattress is designed to ensure that even these space-saving solutions provide luxury comfort.
- The Saatva Youth is a dual-sided spring mattress for kids. One side is designed for children ages 3 to 7, and the other for children ages 8 to 12.
- The Crib Mattress is for infants and toddlers. Similar to the Saatva Youth, it is a non-toxic dual-sided innerspring mattress with one side for infants and a slightly softer toddler side.
Saatva ships their mattresses for free and will coordinate with customers to arrange an in-home setup, as part of their white glove delivery. Most of Saatva’s mattresses come with a 365-night sleep trial and a lifetime warranty.
Comprehensive Buyer’s Guide for Columbus Day Mattress Sales
With major discounts on top mattress brands, Columbus Day weekend is one of the best times of the year to invest in a new bed. Use this detailed guide to help you strategically navigate the sales event and come away with the perfect mattress for your needs and budget.
Conduct Extensive Pre-Sale Research
Doing your homework ahead of the limited sale period ensures you make the most informed purchase decision possible.
Browse Manufacturer Websites: Brands usually advertise their Columbus Day mattress sales weeks in advance. Sign up for email alerts so you have inside info on upcoming deals.
Read In-Depth Reviews: Spend time researching on third-party review sites to understand real customer experiences with different mattress models. This provides insight into factors like quality, comfort, materials, durability, and more.
Ask for Personal Recommendations: Talk to friends, family, and neighbors who have purchased a new mattress in the last couple of years. Their firsthand experiences can help guide your research.
Make a Targeted Shopping List: As you research, take notes on the top 2-3 mattress contenders that seem to best fit your needs and preferences. This gives you a focused list when sales begin.
Compare Technical Specifications: Look at product specs to understand mattress construction details. Things like foam density, coil gauge, fire barrier materials, layer thickness all affect performance and longevity.
Research Certifications: Many top brands have eco-friendly certifications like CertiPUR-US®, GREENGUARD Gold, or OEKO-TEX® that indicate safer, higher quality materials.
Read Warranty Details: Check out warranty coverage periods, terms, and limitations so you know what kind of defects different brands will cover.
Determine Your Ideal Mattress Budget
With such a wide range of prices, determining your budget upfront helps streamline your search for the right mattress at the right price point. With sales averaging 10-20% off the price point, set your budget according to sale expectations rather than full retail prices.
Naturally, big mattress sizes mean bigger prices. A king size mattress may be 10-20% more than a queen from the same line. Be ready for added cost with larger mattress sizes.
Specialty materials also raise prices. Natural latex, gel-infused memory foam, micro coils, and other upgrades increase costs over standard materials like polyurethane foam and Bonnell or pocketed coils.
Extra features add to the expected expense, too. Options like zoned support, high-tech cooling covers, and add-on pillow-tops add to the price tag. This is why many budget mattresses are quite simple in design, even if they’re still comfortable.
Expect to spend $800-$2,000 for a quality foam, latex, hybrid, or innerspring queen mattress from a top brand. High-end options go up to $2,000-$4,000.
Online brands tend to have lower markups compared to stores, as their prices tend to be naturally lower than store prices. Be ready for online mattresses and their prices if your budget was set based on retail store mattress prices.
Pick the Best Mattress Type for Your Needs
With so many different mattress constructions available today, it’s important to understand which types of mattresses are best suited for your sleep style, body type, and preferences.
Memory Foam Mattresses
Memory foam mattresses are known for their exceptional contouring and pressure-relieving properties. They’re made from viscoelastic foam that conforms to your body’s shape, providing excellent support and comfort.
These mattresses are ideal for people with joint or back pain, as they alleviate pressure points. They also excel at isolating motion, making them a good mattress for couples. However, memory foam mattresses can trap heat, so if you’re a hot sleeper, you may want to consider other options.
Latex mattresses are crafted from natural or synthetic latex rubber. They offer a responsive and bouncy feel, making it easy to move and change positions during sleep.
Latex is hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites and other allergens, making it an excellent choice for allergy sufferers. It’s also durable and can last for many years. However, latex mattresses tend to be on the firmer side, so if you prefer a plush feel, you might need to look for a softer latex model.
Innerspring mattresses are the traditional coil mattresses with a core of steel springs or coils. They are known for their sturdy support and breathability, thanks to the open structure that allows air circulation. Innerspring mattresses are often more affordable than other types.
However, they may not offer as much pressure relief as memory foam or latex mattresses. Also, motion transfer can be a concern, as these mattresses may transmit movement from one side of the bed to the other.
Hybrid mattresses combine the best of both worlds by blending memory foam or latex with innerspring coils. This design aims to provide the support of innerspring and the comfort of foam layers.
Hybrid mattresses are suitable for a wide range of sleepers and can accommodate various preferences, offering a balanced mix of support and cushioning. However, they tend to be more expensive than pure innerspring or foam mattresses.
Understand the Mattress Firmness Scale
Manufacturers use an industry-standard mattress firmness scale to indicate a mattress’s firmness or softness level. Firmer beds provide more support but less cradling, while softer mattresses are quicker to offer pressure relief.
Each sleeping position has different mattress firmness requirements to sleep comfortably:
- Mattresses for side sleeping should fall into the soft to medium range, to best relieve pressure as it builds up in the body.
- Mattresses for back sleeping should have a medium-firm to firm feel that gives a mixture of support and conforming cushion.
- Mattresses for stomach sleeping need a firm feel to offset any potential for spinal misalignment.
- Mattresses for combination sleeping should have a medium to medium-firm feel, with a responsive surface quick to adapt to a sleeper’s movements.
Body type can also affect how a mattress feels to you:
- Mattresses for heavier sleepers over 230 pounds need a mattress with a firmer surface to better bear their weight.
- Mattresses for lightweight sleepers under 130 pounds need to be softer and ready to conform to their bodies.
Test different firmness levels in stores or after purchase with a sleep trial period to find your optimum comfort and support level.
Take Full Advantage of Trial Periods
One of the biggest perks of buying a mattress online is getting an extensive in-home trial period. This allows you to evaluate the bed for an extended period before fully committing.
Online mattress brands usually offer 100-365 night home trials so you can properly test out the mattress. Before you buy, understand return shipping costs, how to initiate a return, whether you can exchange instead, etc.
Don’t settle on any mattress that doesn’t come with a return policy backup. Using an in-home trial is the best way to decide if a mattress’s comfort, support, and feel works for you. Take advantage of trial periods, especially for online purchases.
Compare Mattress Warranties in Detail
A quality mattress should come with at least a 10-year warranty protecting against defects and premature breakdown. But warranty specifics matter, so compare policies closely.
Most important of all is to research what the warranty covers, more important even than the length. For example, a longer lifetime warranty may not match the coverage of a 10 to 20-year warranty.
Most warranties cover workmanship flaws, materials defects, premature compression, loss of shape, etc. The depth of compression or mattress sagging covered under the warranty can vary as well. Good warranties cover impressions over 1 inch. Poorer ones only cover sagging if it’s 1.5 to 2 inches deep.
Robust warranty coverage provides peace of mind that you’re buying a durable, high-quality mattress the company fully stands behind. Don’t overlook this important policy.
Other Mattress Sales of the Year
If you miss the Columbus Day sales, don’t fret about missing out on some of the top discounts from mattress companies. You can take advantage of other mattress sales as they occur throughout the year
If you’re looking at the best time to buy a mattress, we recommend the following sales throughout the year:
- Martin Luther King Day Mattress Sales
- Presidents Day Mattress Sales
- Sleep Awareness Week Mattress Sales
- Memorial Day Mattress Sales
- 4th of July Mattress Sales
- Labor Day Mattress Sales
- Black Friday Mattress Sales
- Cyber Monday Mattress Sales
Is it better to buy a mattress on Columbus Day or Black Friday?
A Columbus Day sale is advantageous if you need a mattress promptly. Black Friday, taking place in late November, has the reputation of more substantial discounts and diverse offers, making it a great choice for those seeking optimal value. In our experience, many of the best mattress sales during Black Friday are comparable to the best mattress deals of Columbus Day.
If you choose to wait, be prepared for the crowds and potential stock shortages on Black Friday. To secure the best deals, start your research early and compare promotions leading up to both events, allowing you to make a well-informed decision based on timing, preferences, and available discounts.
How far do mattress prices drop on Columbus Day?
How deep mattress discounts are during Columbus Day deals varies by retailer. Every brand and store tends to offer their own specific promotions. Generally, Columbus Day is considered a mid-year sale event, and you can expect to find moderate to significant discounts on mattresses. Typically, you can expect to save several hundred dollars on a brand-new mattress.
Retailers often use Columbus Day as an opportunity to clear out inventory from earlier in the year and make room for new models. So you’re likely to find competitive pricing as you browse Columbus Day mattress deals.
Does bedding go on sale for Columbus Day?
Yes, it’s also common for retailers to include bedding and other sleep accessories as part of their Columbus Day mattress sales. This can include items like sheets, pillows, duvets, mattress toppers, mattress pads and mattress protectors, along with frames and adjustable beds.
How much bedding is discounted by can vary, so it’s a good idea to do some research and compare prices to ensure you’re getting the best value for your money. Generally, you can expect promotional pricing and the opportunity to bundle accessories with a new mattress. It’s a good time to refresh your entire sleep setup.
Should I shop mattresses online or in-store for Columbus Day?
Shopping online for a mattress on Columbus Day can offer several benefits. You can browse a wide range of options from the comfort of your home and avoid any crowds and long lines. Online retailers often provide detailed product descriptions, customer reviews, and easy comparison tools to help make an informed decision. Plus, online mattress stores frequently offer competitive prices and may have exclusive online-only deals for Columbus Day.
On the other hand, shopping for a mattress in-store on Columbus Day allows you to test the mattresses physically before making a decision. In-store sales associates can also provide expert guidance and answer your questions, helping you select the mattress that best suits your needs. Which choice is better for you depends on your priorities.
What is a reasonable amount of money to spend on a mattress?
The amount of money you should spend on a mattress depends on several factors, including your budget, personal preferences, and long-term investment goals. If you’re on a tight budget, you can find decent-quality mattresses in the $500 to $1,000 range. Many reputable brands offer mattresses within this price range that provide comfort and support for the average sleeper.
For those seeking a balance between affordability and enhanced features, mattresses priced between $1,000 and $2,000 often offer a wide selection of options. This range typically includes hybrid mattresses, which combine memory foam and innerspring coils for added comfort. And if you’re willing to invest in a high-end mattress for superior comfort and durability, expect to spend $2,000 or more.
It’s important to keep in mind that a mattress is a long-term investment in your comfort and well-being, as you’ll spend a significant portion of your life sleeping on it. Consider your sleep quality, any specific health concerns, and your comfort preferences when setting your budget.
With thorough pre-shopping research, an established budget, and strategic timing, the long weekend of Columbus Day, or Indigenous Peoples’ Day as it’s sometimes called, presents an excellent opportunity to invest in a new quality mattress at a discounted price. Avoid settling by taking advantage of available sleep trials and warranty coverage to ensure complete satisfaction with the best mattress for your needs.
Choosing the right mattress is a big decision that directly impacts your sleep, health and daily life. Follow this guide to cut through the sales frenzy and come away with the ideal mattress for your preferences and budget this Columbus Day. Then you can relax knowing your purchase decision was informed, strategic, and money smart. Sweet dreams and happy savings!