What is a Split King?
- A split king mattress is essentially two twin XL mattresses placed side by side, offering customization for individual sleep preferences.
- The key advantage of a split king is the ability to cater to the unique sleep needs of each partner, with varying firmness levels on each side.
- While split kings reduce motion transfer and are compatible with adjustable bed frames, they come with a higher cost compared to traditional king mattresses.
- Cuddling is still possible on a split king, and various methods, like using straps or connectors, can be employed to keep the mattresses together.
Are you in the market for a new mattress? With so many options available, it’s easy to get overwhelmed, especially when it comes to different sizes. While most people are familiar with twin, queen, and king sizes, there is a more specialized option worth considering: the split king mattress. This comprehensive guide will explore everything you need to know about split king and queen-size mattresses together, including their benefits, drawbacks, costs, and more.
What is a Split King Mattress?
A split king mattress is essentially a king-size mattress that is divided into two separate mattresses. Imagine two twin XL mattresses placed side by side to form a split king, which means a full-size bed. Typically, the two smaller mattresses are placed on a king bed frame or platform, creating the illusion of a regular king mattress.
Split King vs. King Mattress
To better understand the concept of a split king mattress, let’s compare it to a traditional king mattress. A standard king mattress measures 76 inches by 80 inches. In contrast, two split king sheet sets and two twin XL mattresses, each measuring 38 inches by 80 inches, when combined, form the dimensions of a regular king mattress. The key difference is that a split king allows for customization and individual comfort.
Pros and Cons of Split King Mattresses
Before deciding whether a split king mattress is right for you, it’s essential to consider the pros and cons.
Split King Pros
- Cater to Individual Sleep Needs: One of the main advantages of a split king mattress is the ability to cater to the unique sleep needs of each partner. Different sleep habits and preferences can be accommodated by choosing mattresses with varying firmness levels.
- Reduced Motion Transfer: Split king mattresses often have less motion transfer than traditional king mattresses. This means that you’re less likely to be disturbed by your partner’s movements during the night.
- Adjustable Bed Compatibility: Split kings are compatible with adjustable bed frames, allowing each partner to customize their side of the bed. For example, one partner can raise their side of the bed to sit up and read, while the other can sleep in a reclined position.
- Ease of Movement: Split king mattresses are typically easier to move than a single king mattress. This can be especially beneficial when rearranging furniture or moving to a new home.
Split King Cons
- Higher Cost: Split king mattresses are more expensive than traditional ones. This is because you purchase two individual twin XL mattresses instead of a single king-size mattress.
- Potential Discomfort: While some sleepers have no issues with the split down the middle of the bed, others may find it uncomfortable. It’s important to consider personal preferences and comfort levels before making a decision.
- Limited Availability: Not all mattress brands offer split king mattresses or twin XL mattresses so the options may be more limited than regular king mattresses.
Benefits of Split King Adjustable Mattresses
Now that we’ve explored the pros and cons of a king-size bed, it’s time to delve into the specific benefits of choosing a split king mattress.
Different Firmness Levels
One of the key advantages of a split king mattress is the ability to have different mattress firmness levels on each side of the bed. This is especially beneficial if you and your partner have different sleep preferences. For example, if one partner is a stomach sleeper and requires a firmer mattress, while the other is a side sleeper and needs more plushness for pressure relief, a split king can provide the perfect solution.
Reduced Motion Transfer
Motion transfer refers to the movement felt on one side of the bed when the other side moves. This can be a common issue for couples sharing a bed. However, the two individual mattresses are separated with a split king mattress, minimizing motion transfer. This can lead to a more peaceful night’s sleep, especially if you or your partner tend to toss and turn during a good night’s sleep.
Adjustable Bed Frames
Split king mattresses are often paired with adjustable bed frames, allowing each partner to customize their side of the bed. This feature particularly benefits those who enjoy reading or watching TV in bed. One partner can adjust their side to a comfortable sitting position while the other can remain flat for sleeping. This flexibility ensures that both partners can find their ideal sleep position without compromising on comfort.
Enhanced Durability and Longevity
Split king mattresses tend to last longer than regular king mattresses. This is because each side of the Cal King mattress experiences less wear and tear since only one person uses it. A split king mattress can provide years of comfortable sleep with proper care and maintenance.
How Much Does a Split King Bed Cost?
Cost is an important factor to consider when considering a split king mattress. It’s essential to understand the price difference compared to a regular king mattress.
The cost of a split king mattress can vary significantly depending on the brand and quality. On average, split king mattresses range from around $700 to $4,000. It’s important to note that this range is an estimate and can vary based on factors such as materials, construction, and additional features.
Factors Affecting Cost
Several factors can influence the price of a split king mattress. These include:
- Brand: Different brands offer split king mattresses at varying price points. Established and well-known brands often come with a higher price tag due to their reputation and quality.
- Materials: The materials used in the construction of the mattress can affect its cost. For example, mattresses made with high-quality memory foam or natural latex tend to be more expensive than those made with basic materials.
- Additional Features: Some split king mattresses come with additional features such as cooling technology, edge support, or enhanced motion isolation. These features can add to the overall cost of the mattress.
What Is the Best Split King Mattress?
Choosing the best-split king mattress depends on individual preferences and needs. However, there are several highly recommended options worth considering. Here are a few favorites:
- Amerisleep AS3: Amerisleep offers the AS3 as a versatile memory foam mattress with a medium firmness level. Known for its pressure relief and motion isolation, it suits couples with varying sleep preferences.
- Saatva Classic: The Saatva Classic is a luxury hybrid mattress that offers exceptional support and comfort. Its split king option allows for customization of firmness levels on each side of the bed, ensuring individualized comfort.
- Nolah Evolution: The Nolah Evolution is a premium hybrid mattress that combines the benefits of foam and coils. It is highly responsive and provides excellent pressure relief, making it an ideal choice for couples with different sleep preferences.
- WinkBed: The WinkBed is a top-rated hybrid mattress known for its exceptional durability and support. With its split king option, couples can enjoy personalized comfort while minimizing motion transfer.
While these mattresses are highly regarded, it’s important to consider personal preferences, budget, and specific sleep needs when making a final decision. Conduct thorough research, read customer reviews, and take advantage of sleep trials to ensure you find the best split king-size down mattress for you.
Mattress Sizes and Dimensions
To better understand the dimensions of a split king mattress, let’s take a look at a comparison of different full queen mattress sizes:
|38" x 75"
|38" x 80"
|54" x 75"
|60" x 80"
|76" x 80"
|38" x 80"
|72" x 84"
It’s important to note that these dimensions are general guidelines and may vary slightly depending on the brand and specific model.
Is a Split King Right for You?
Determining whether a split king mattress is the right choice for you involves considering various factors. Here are a few final considerations to help you make an informed decision:
Before purchasing a split king mattress, ensure that your bedroom can comfortably accommodate the dimensions of the entire bed itself. Measure the available space to ensure a proper fit.
Consider your primary sleeping position and any specific support or pressure relief needs associated with it. Different sleep positions require varying levels of firmness, so choose a mattress that aligns with your needs.
The ability to customize the firmness level of the firm mattress on each side of the bed is a significant advantage of a split king mattress. Determine your preferred level of firmness and find a brand that offers suitable options.
Keep in mind that split king mattresses tend to be more expensive than regular king mattresses due to the purchase of two separate mattresses. Compare prices and consider any available deals or promotions to find the best value for your budget.
Trial and Warranty
Check for sleep trials and warranties offered by the mattress brand. A sleep trial allows you to test the mattress at home and return it if it doesn’t meet your needs. Warranties cover manufacturing defects and can provide peace of mind.
FAQs about Split King Mattresses
Is a split king the same as two twin XLs?
Yes, a split king mattress is essentially two twin XL mattresses pushed together to form a king-size mattress. Each twin XL mattress measures approximately 38 inches by 80 inches. When combined with the Western Kingside, they create a split king mattress measuring 76 inches by 80 inches.
Can you feel the split in a split king bed?
The degree to which you can feel the split in a split king bed depends on the design of the mattress. While there may be a small gap between the two mattresses, some sleepers utilize bungee cords or straps in innerspring mattresses to reduce the gap. Additionally, adding a mattress topper or pad can create a more conjoined feel.
Can you cuddle on a split king mattress?
Absolutely! Despite the small gap between the king-size mattresses above, cuddling on a split king mattress is still possible. The gap is generally minimal and should not hinder intimacy or physical closeness.
Is it hard to put sheets on a split king bed?
Putting sheets on a split king bed can be slightly more challenging compared to a regular king bed. Some sleepers opt for twin XL fitted sheets on each mattress, along with twin XL sheets, with a king-size flat sheet over both. This method is especially suitable for adjustable bed frames. Alternatively, a regular king-size fitted sheet can be used to cover both mattresses.
How do you keep a split king bed together?
Various methods can be employed to keep a split king bed together. These include using straps, bungee cords, or a split king connector to secure the mattresses. Additionally, a bed frame with a headboard and footboard can provide more stability. A non-slip mattress pad can also help reduce slippage.
What is the point of a split king?
The primary purpose of a split king is to allow couples to customize their bed to their individual sleep needs while still sharing a bed. It offers the advantage of personalization and comfort for each partner.
Can you sleep in the middle of a split king bed?
While it is possible to sleep in the middle of adjustable beds in a split king bed, the gap between the two mattresses may not be the most comfortable spot. To make it cozier, consider adding a mattress pad or topper to create a more seamless sleep surface.
Can you use king sheets on a split king?
Yes, king sheets can be used on two twin XL beds or a split king bed. Alternatively, specialty split king sheets are also available for those who prefer individual sheets for each mattress.
In conclusion, a split king mattress offers couples the ability to customize their sleep experience, cater to individual needs, and reduce motion transfer. By considering factors such as room size, sleeping position, firmness, cost, and warranty, you can determine whether a split king mattress is the right choice for you. With the right research and careful consideration, you can find the perfect split king mattress to enhance your sleep quality and overall comfort.